Home energy upgrades can be costly. What we've tried to do is narrow down a few actions that are easy, relatively cheap, and sensible for both homeowners and renters.
- Replace your HVAC filters once a month to maintain an adequate and clean air flow which can help reduce energy costs.
- Use energy efficient light bulbs like CFLs or LEDs. Light bulbs meeting new standards can result in significant energy conservation of 25%-80%. Light your home with the same amount of light for less money. Upgrading 15 of the traditional, less energy efficient incandescent light bulbs in your home could save you about $50 per year.
- Add caulking or weather stripping around windows and doors. Your home may have small openings around doors and windows that cause heat loss. Caulking and weather stripping can reduce energy waste and protect your home from moisture damage. Covering large windows with affordable insulating plastic can also be a way to trap the sunlight’s heat inside your home during the day and prevent drafts at night.
- Close doors and central air vents in rooms that don’t see a lot of use. This prevents you from paying to heat empty rooms, and redirects the air to the parts of your house that need to be the warmest.
- Reverse the direction on your ceiling fans. During winter, the warm air generated by your heating system naturally rises to the ceiling while cooler air sinks. By switching the directing that your fan blades turn the cooler air is drawn upwards, which forces the warmer air near the ceiling back down into the space. How does this save energy? Since thermostats are typically located at human level, keeping the warm air low, where it’s needed, means you can turn the temperature down a few notches and still stay warm.
At Complete Home Solutions, energy efficiency and weatherization is our specialty and it’s our mission to help change the lives of our customers by making their homes more energy efficient and comfortable. If you have any questions regarding energy efficiency or what you need to do to make your home more comfortable, give us a call at 1-410-867-1202 today.
In Maryland we proudly service Hollwood, Davidsonville, Gambrills, Sunderland and surrounding areas.