Hurricane season in Maryland runs from June to November and they can cause strong winds, heavy rains, inland flooding, and other severe weather. The best thing to do during this season is to be prepared! Just as your utility company prepares for severe weather and the possibility of power outages, you should also review important storm information and create an emergency preparation plan. People with special needs, such as those who may be elderly, disable or depended on electricity for medical equipment, should have alternate arrangements in place should they experience an extended power outage.
Here are some things you should do BEFORE severe weather hits:
- Have a supply of bottled water and easy to prepare non-perishable foods available.
- Charge cell phones and mobile devices.
- Have a flashlight with fresh batteries on each floor of your home.
- Visit your utility company's website to choose how to receive information, via text, email or phone, including when power is out in your area, when service is expected to be restored, or when power is to be restored.
Here are some things you should do WHEN severe weather hits:
- Monitor the radio or television for weather conditions and updates.
- Stay away from all windows/exterior doors and seek shelter if needed.
- If the power goes out, turn off all major appliances to reduce chances of damage in the event of a power surge.
Here are some things you should do AFTER severe weather hits:
- When power is restored, do not start all major appliances at once. Turn them on gradually to reduce damage to sensitive equipment.
- Avoid downed, damaged, or loose power lines and report them immediately to the local police and fire departments, as well as the local utility provider.
- Do not use electrical or gas appliances that have been wet, and do not turn on damaged appliances because of the hazards of electric shock or fire.
- Stay away from floodwater as they can contain harmful contaminants and hide dangerous debris.
If you want to make improvements to your home to ensure it will be good for any severe weather that hits call us, Complete Home Solutions, today at 1-410-867-1202 for a free, no-obligation estimate!