Everyone knows how children just have the need to touch and play with everything and many times they have no idea what they're playing with. It’s very important to keep cleaners and other toxic products out of reach and emphasize to children the importance of staying away from these chemicals and especially the dangers of playing around with them and drinking them. Keep your kids safe and out of harm’s way by following these simple tips:
- Store all household products out of children’s sight and reach. Young kids are often eye-level with items under the kitchen and bathroom sinks. So any bleach, detergents, dishwasher liquid or cleaning solutions that are kept there should be moved to a new storage location.
- Install child safety locks on cabinets where you have stored poisonous items. It only takes a few minutes, and it gives you one less thing to worry about.
- Read product labels to find out what can be hazardous to kids. Dangerous household items include makeup, personal care products, plants, pesticides, lead, art supplies, alcohol and carbon monoxide.
- Don’t leave poisonous products unattended while in use. Many incidents happen when adults are distracted for a moment on the phone or at the door.
- Keep cleaning products in their original containers. Never put a potentially poisonous product in something other than its original container (such as a plastic soda bottle) where it could be mistaken for something else.
- Throw away old medicines and other potential poisons. Check your garage, basement and other storage areas for cleaning and work supplies you no longer need and can discard.
During National Poison Awareness Month here at Complete Home Solutions we want not only our customers but all homeowners to be aware of the potential hazards that are in our homes and the importance of being informed. For more information, we are more than willing to answer any questions or concerns you may have. Give us a call at 1-855-247-9984 or visit the Center of Disease Control’s website at www.cdc.gov.